dogs, chocolate is delicious, but potentially lethal. The
cocoa bean, from which chocolate is produced, contains a
drug called theobromine. This is closely related to
caffeine, which chocolate also contains. The toxicity of
chocolate for dogs is due to its theobromine content.
Chocolate poisoning is very serious. It contains a long
lasting, very potent toxin that can cause death. This
toxicity is largely unfamiliar to most people, who may
not worry too much if their dog is a bit sick after
eating a quantity of chocolate.
Chocolate is also poisonous to cats, but due to their picky eating habits, this type of poisoning is not as serious a problem. If your cat ingests chocolate, treat the situation the same as if it were a dog.
This web site is a hobby for me. However, the time and
money involved makes this hobby an expensive one. I,
alone, spend on average 4-6 hours a day ensuring the
information is of the highest quality and the web site is
maintained and available at all times. If you have
benefited from this site and find it enjoyable, any
donation amount, from 50¢ to $50, would help keep the
site up and running.